Our mission is simple:
- Keep swimmers safer and more confident in the pool by reducing risk of head injuries
- Provide a functional and more comfortable fitting cap to swimmers
- Deliver a performance cap that has no drag for the competitive swimmer
- Give parents, coaches and athletes peace of mind
- Raise awareness about head injury in the pool
Hammer Head™ Story
Like all great innovations, Hammer Head™ started with an ah-ha moment. In 2013, David Burns was coaching a swim team practice at a local country club pool when a young swimmer hit her head on the wall doing a backstroke finish. She started crying in pain. While David and his other coaches checked on her another, older swimmer hit her head even harder – and had to leave the pool with what turned out to be a minor concussion. Later David remarked, “what do I need to do to protect you – get you a helmet?” One girl replied “PLEASE!” and the idea for the Hammer Head™ Swim Cap was born.
As if meant to be, co-founder Theresa and her husband Ken, swim club parents with experience in both product engineering and sports apparel brand marketing were sitting poolside. Everyone knew David was on to something.
Fast forward to today. David, a 20-year experienced swim coach and successful entrepreneur along with Theresa, a sports brand marketing and business development strategist are co-founders of Mako International, LLC. The company was created to design, manufacture and market Hammer Head™ Swim Caps in the United States and abroad. Together there mission is to reduce swimmer head injury one cap at a time.